When morning arrives and it comes time to choose between hitting the snooze button or heading to the kitchen for breakfast, the snooze button often seems more appealing. However the benefits of eating breakfast are worth waking up a little earlier for.
Breakfast is often referred to as the most important meal of the day and it just may be. Skipping breakfast may set you up to fall short on important nutrients and servings of the food groups most of us should be eating more of including fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low fat dairy products. In addition, breakfast eaters tend to weigh less than those who skip breakfast. Although it may seem like skipping your morning meal can help you save calories, breakfast-skippers often end up eating more later in the day than those who filled up with a healthy breakfast. In addition to the nutritional benefits of eating breakfast, studies show that kids who eat breakfast tend to perform better in school. They also tend to have better attendance and behavior in school.
So tomorrow morning, when the alarm clock goes off, skip the snooze and break for breakfast. For a healthy breakfast, try to choose foods containing at least 3 food groups and those that contain a good balance of protein, carbohydrate and healthy fats. These 3 nutrients work together to provide you with energy to take on the day and help you to feel full and satisfied until lunchtime arrives. Here are some examples to consider:
- Breakfast wrap using whole wheat tortilla with peanut butter and banana slices
- Fruit and yogurt Smoothie
- Whole grain cereal with low-fat or fat free milk topped with berries
- Yogurt parfait (layer your favorite yogurt with fresh fruit and walnuts)
- Breakfast sandwich made with a whole wheat English muffin, one scrambled egg and slice of low fat cheese
- Whole wheat bagel topped with hummus and sliced red pepper
Click here for delicious and nutritious breakfast recipes!