Shopping Cart Smarts: Tips For Choosing Healthy Foods While Still Saving Money At The Supermarket
If you think you have to choose between eating healthy and saving money at the supermarket, think again. By planning ahead and following a few simple tips, it is possible to fill your grocery cart with healthy foods and still stick to your budget.
1) Plan ahead- Before heading to the supermarket, create a list. Plan out your meals for the week including side dishes, snacks and sack lunches for work or school. A list can save you time and money and will also help you stick to a healthy eating plan and avoid trips to the drive through window.
2) Stop Tossing Food in the Trash- Recycle leftovers by packing them into lunches or get creative and turn them into a whole new meal. If you have extra fresh spinach leaves from Monday night’s salad, re-use on Tuesday by layering into your favorite lasagna or adding to an omelet. In addition, organize the foods in your refrigerator so that those nearing their expiration date are in the front and will be used before newer foods.
3) Save with Seasonal Produce- In addition to being more flavorful, when fresh fruits and vegetables are in season, their price is often lower. To find out what fruits and vegetables are in season right now, visit this link: http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/?page_id=674.
4) Be-friend your Freezer- Many healthy foods such as lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables are perishable and should be eaten soon after they are purchased for the best taste and quality. However, if you can’t use them in a timely manner, put them into the freezer where they will maintain their freshness for much longer. If fresh berries are on sale, stock up and place in the freezer to use in smoothies. When lean meat is on sale, fill up your cart and separate into meal sized portions before freezing. You can also purchase frozen fruits and vegetables, which are often flash frozen at the peak of their ripeness, when they have the best flavor and the highest concentration of nutrients.
5) Cut coupons and keep an eye out for the ads- Coupons are an easy way to save money and with the internet, social media and Smart phones, finding them has never been easier. In addition to clipping coupons, review the No Frills ad each week and plan your grocery list and meals around the items that are on sale. To find money saving coupons and receive the No Frills weekly ad in your inbox, visit www.nofrillssupermarkets.com.
6) Score big with the Store Brand- Buying store brand or private label groceries, such as Our Family products found at No Frills Supermarkets, can help you save big without compromising on nutrition or quality. A 2010 Consumer Reports study found that consumers can cut an average of 30% off their grocery bill by choosing store brands. In addition, they found that store brand products are comparable to national name brands when it comes to nutrition and quality.