“Mom, I’m hungry!” If you are used to hearing this in your house, you may be looking for healthy snack ideas. Healthy snacks are a great way to help ensure that your children receive adequate amounts of important nutrients throughout the day. So what are some healthy options that you can offer your kids when they get a snack attack? Here is a list of some nutritious options that are also kid-friendly.
1) Yogurt- Yogurt is a great source of calcium and protein. Drinkable yogurts make great grab-n-go snacks. Yogurt parfaits are also a fun snack and are easy for kids to make by topping their favorite yogurt with some fresh blueberries or strawberries and some whole grain cereal.
2) Fresh fruit- Keep a bowl of fruit on the counter to make it easy for your kids to grab a snack anytime. Keep their favorites on hand such as bananas and apples but don’t be afraid to mix it up with some fruits they may not eat as often such as kiwi or mango. For a fun snack you can also make fruit and cheese kabobs by alternating cheese cubes and sliced fruit on a wooden skewer.
3) Cheese sticks- Cheese sticks are a great tasting snack and also provide protein and bone building calcium. For a twist, wrap a cheese stick in a whole wheat tortilla and microwave for 10-15 seconds and serve with salsa.
4) Fresh vegetables –Keep fresh vegetables cut up in the refrigerator so that they are ready to eat when your kids hunger hits. Serve with hummus or vegetable dip made with plain yogurt and ranch seasoning.
5) Whole grain cereal and low fat milk- Cereal isn’t only for breakfast, it can also be a great snack.
6) Trail mix- Combine dried fruit and almonds for a delicious crunchy and sweet snack.